Amazon Wish Lists offer a convenient way to keep track of your desired items or to share gift ideas with others. Here’s an in-depth look at this useful feature.
What is an Amazon Wish List and how does it work?
An Amazon Wish List allows you to create a list of products that you would like to receive as gifts. You can add items to your Wish List from Amazon’s catalog or by using the Amazon Assistant browser extension to add products from any website.
When you add something to your Wish List, it won’t be purchased right away. Instead, it saves the items so you can share your list with others. Friends and family can view your list and purchase items from it as gifts for you.
How do I create an Amazon Wish List?
- Go to www.amazon.com and log into your account.
- Hover over “Account & Lists” and click on “Your Wish List”.
- Click the button that says “Create a List”.
- Enter a name for your new Wish List and click “Create List”.
You can customise your list by adding a description, changing privacy settings, and more. To edit these settings later, click “List Actions” while viewing your list.
Can I share my Amazon Wish List with others, and if so, how?
Yes, you can share your Wish List with friends, family, and followers. There are a few different ways to share:
- Send the list link: You can copy the URL for your list and share it directly via email, text, social media, etc.
- Add to your Amazon profile: Make your list public and add it to your Amazon profile so anyone can search for and view it.
- Use the share button: Click the share button on your list to email or message the link through various platforms.
- Share on social media: Use the social share buttons on your list to easily post it on sites like Facebook and Twitter.
How can I find someone else’s Amazon Wish List?
If someone has made their Wish List public or shared the link with you directly, it’s easy to find. You can also search for lists associated with someone’s name or email if they’ve added it to their Amazon profile.
To search, go to www.amazon.com/gp/registry/search and enter their name or email address. Any public lists or registries should appear. Make sure you only access lists that have been intentionally shared with you.
What happens when an item from my Wish List is purchased?
When someone purchases an item from your Wish List, it will be marked as “Purchased” on your list. Amazon does not automatically remove purchased items – you’ll need to manually remove them if desired.
You’ll also get a notification email letting you know something has been purchased. This helps you track gifts and avoid duplicate items. The purchaser can choose to include a gift message too.
Can I add items from other websites to my Amazon Wish List?
Yes! You can use the Amazon Assistant browser extension to add items from any website to your Wish List. When you find a product on another site, click the Amazon Assistant button to bring up an option to add it.
The Amazon Assistant is available for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. Add it to your browser to start adding non-Amazon items.
Is there a way to prioritise items on my Wish List?
You can rank items in your Wish List by priority. While viewing your list, click the drop down menu next to “Sort & Filter” and choose “Priority”.
You can set the priority level for each item on your list as High, Medium, or Low. This provides gift-givers an indication of which items you want most.
How do I keep my address private when sharing my Wish List?
When someone views your Wish List, they will only see your name and the city/state associated with the shipping address – not the full address. This protects your privacy.
If you don’t want even your city/state displayed, you can create a new shipping address titled “Gift Registry Address” and set this as your default. It will only show this title when people view your list.
What are the options for returning gifts received from my Wish List?
Items purchased from your Amazon Wish List are eligible for free returns, as long as the gift-giver selected Amazon as the seller. You have 30 days after receiving the gift to initiate a return.
Gift items shipped from and sold by third-party sellers may have different return policies. Be sure to check the return eligibility before trying to send an item back.
Can I set up a charity or cause-related Wish List on Amazon?
Yes, Amazon offers Wish List functionality for nonprofits. Approved 501(c)(3) charitable organizations can create an AmazonSmile Charity Lists.
These lists allow nonprofits to share items they need for their mission. Donors can purchase items and have them shipped directly to the charity.
Can You Have Multiple Wish Lists on Amazon?
Yes, you can create multiple Wish Lists on Amazon. For example, you may want separate lists for different occasions like holidays, birthdays, or weddings. You can make as many lists as you need.
To add a new Wish List, hover over “Account & Lists” and click “Your Wish List”. Then click the button to “Create a List”.
Can I Find Out What’s in an Amazon Package Without Opening It?
Unfortunately there is no way to see exactly what is inside an unopened Amazon package. However, there are a few clues that may help identify the contents:
- Check the shipping label for any item descriptions or ASIN numbers printed on it. Sometimes these provide hints about the item.
- Look up the order in your Amazon Order History for details like the product title, seller name, date shipped, etc.
- If the package is from a third party seller, contact them directly to inquire about the contents.
- Small lightweight packages likely contain books, media items, or smaller household goods. Heavier boxes probably contain bulkier items.
- The package dimensions can also give clues if you know the approximate size of the item you ordered.
But ultimately there is no way to definitively know what is inside without unsealing the package. You’ll have to open it up to find out!
How Do You Know If Someone Purchased Something on Your Amazon Wish List?
There are a few ways to know if someone has purchased an item from your Amazon Wish List:
- You will receive an email notification from Amazon informing you that an item has been purchased. The email will include the purchaser’s name and any gift message they included.
- In Your Wish List, the item will be moved from the “Wish List” section to the “Purchased” section. Purchased items are marked with a gift box icon.
- The item quantity will change from “1” to “0” in your Wish List since the purchase reduces the remaining quantity.
- If you have the Amazon mobile app, you can enable notifications so you get an alert any time something is bought from your list.
- The purchaser may let you know directly that they bought you something from your list.
So in summary – check your emails, app notifications, and the “Purchased” section of your list to see when gifts have been bought!
Are Amazon wish list purchases anonymous?
No, Amazon wish list purchases are not anonymous by default. When someone buys an item from your wish list, your name and shipping address will be revealed to the purchaser during checkout.
However, there are a couple ways to keep wish list purchases more anonymous:
- Set your wish list shipping address to something generic like “Gift Registry Address”. This hides your personal address.
- If buying from a third party seller, the purchaser can opt to ship to themselves and then forward the gift. This keeps your address anonymous.
- Ask the purchaser to disable gift options during checkout. This prevents your name from being associated with the purchase.
- If you suspect a purchase is from someone wanting anonymity, don’t openly thank them for specific items. Wait to see if they reveal themselves as the giver.
So in summary, while not completely anonymous, there are ways to increase privacy when buying and receiving from an Amazon wish list. But the purchaser’s name is always attached to the transaction.